Thursday, December 6, 2018

How much is a Merry Christmas?



Since being a young child, I have always wondered, if someone could ever give a price for an amazing Christmas.

After all, what could be the recipe for a happy and jolly Christmas. A pancit guisado costs no more than 500 pesos. A hamon is right around a thousand at most. A spaghetti is now almost too affordable, 200 pesos can go a long way. And add a cake, some chocolates and a macaroni salad for a surprise, then you have a wonderful time. However, there's still one question in my mind; "How much is a merry Christmas?"

Well first of all, how much is a complete family?- I understand that the concept a whole family is different in my perspective, than the eyes of others. Surely, it's not their fault that I am less fortunate than them. For me at least, it takes a father, a mother, me, and a few of my other relatives to make a complete family.

A father- the first ingredient. They say you need to be content in what you have, and what life gives you, afterall, I have my Lolo to stand as my father figure. Still, it is not enough, I want a dad, who can teach me sports, and teach me how to ride a bike, to be called a "daddy's girl". I want to become a daughter for once, sadly; I never met my father, he left mom, when she was pregnant. Until this day I resent him, but somehow, I still want a father. A father for a Merry Christmas.

My mother would be an easier problem, but this Christmas I asked if she would come home to see us. My mother works away from home, and she told me through messenger that she would not make it, she said she was busy; but I know the real problem, the truth is we need the money from her work.

Even though I know I couldn't afford a complete family, I still ask what is the cost for unconditional love. I know my family loves me, but sometimes I second guess, I remember last November, it was our recognition program, but sadly no one couldn't make it. I decided not to go, but reluctant, I went without a guardian. In those days, I feel like love has the greatest price, that it is a luxury I can never afford.

Lastly I would like to ask: How much is a smile for Christmas?- A lot of kids will say, it's easy to smile, but in this world full of bitterness, we couldn't see the difference between true and fake happiness. Merry Christmas, it's in the name actually, how can you be merry if you do not smile? Well, happiness has a higher tag than money itself, it needs genuine emotions, true love and care, happiness is hefty in price.

So how much would a merry Christmas be?- simple a merry Christmas is worth as much as a hug from a family, a love without regrets and a smile beyond boundaries.


How much is a Merry Christmas?- It depends on you!

No comments:

Post a Comment